2

2
Us two cunts like adventure. And one likes to record it.

Friday 27 February 2015

Day drinking with tunes: In praise of the one day festival

So Early Bird tickets for Oppikoppi are one sale already. I think my panties got a touch damp when I first read the email – I fucking love Oppi. I’ve been to many, many festivals, both local and overseas, and for many, many reasons it’s this one that has established itself in the corner of my heart. But festivals require a bit more effort and planning these days. I need a little more than a bottle of apple sours and one tent between seven friends if I’m going to enjoy myself – like gin and a blow up mattress for starters. And this is why the one-day festival is even better than that time I got to correct the grammar of a person who loves to correct people’s grammar.




You see, these mini fests combine the glorious occasion that is day drinking with some vital ingredients to make your Saturday (or Sunday) even more delicious than those lamb burgers with minted yoghurt I made that one time. Along with your gin and tonic, or smoothie laced with glugs of vodka, you can feast your ears on some pretty sweet tunes. And when the sun starts to slide away and the clock hands tick over to rape-o-clock, you can pootle back to your own home and fling your joy-weary body onto your very own bed. Unless, of course, you got lucky. Then it’s high-fives all round, you sex-minx, and no need for concerns regarding the cleanliness of the undercarriage. Because people shower every day when they have a shower on tap – yay! But even if you did nothing more than enjoy the impeccable company of your chosen humans (sans intercourse) there are very few better ways to spend one of two days of freedom gifted to us.



And because we can claim neither beach nor big rock, Joburg smashes out these weekend pearlers like an oyster trying to make the rent. You cannot throw a stone in this town without hitting a hip gathering of folks and good vibes. In fact the next couple of weeks are dripping in the things. So why not settle your delightful arse at one of these noteworthy events:

Park Acoustics (Sunday, 1 March 2015)

Okay, so you do have to drive through to Pretoria, but these monthly events are worth the effort. It’s a rad day of music, comedy, drinking and eating at the Voortrekker Monument – see there’s a spot of culture as well. This instalment sees the likes of AKing, We are Charlie and The Plastics. Cancel whatever plans you’ve already made and have some fun. Check out the deets here.



The Nice Guys Sessions (Saturday, 7 March 2015)

I’ll admit I haven’t been to a chilled arvie of live music at The Factory on Grant, but I do like chilled arvies, especially when the location involves a rooftop. Craft beer isn’t my thing but who am I to force my tastes on others and I’m sure there is more than enough gin available to keep me sweet. Facebook says some things about it here.

Sowing the Seeds (Saturday, 21 March 2015)

So Ben Howard is only pulling through later in the year, but don’t go throwing your ticket on the floor and making a sulky face just yet. The last Seeds shindig I went to was a blur of tequila, until a friend dropped another friend on his face, which was hilarious for everyone except the guy with his face resting quite firmly on the floor. Paolo Nutini is some nice, easy listening and although I don’t know who Portugal. The Man are, I’m willing to overlook their bizarre grasp of the actual workings of the full stop. Shortstraw are obviously playing, because (and let’s be frank) when aren’t they…?



Rise and Shine (Saturday, 28 March 2015)


I once fell in love at a Rise and Shine. The two cunts were relaxing in the delightful sunlight, when we were touched with someone crooning. “She’s got them lobster tits, lobster tits, lobster tits…” across the grassy knoll and I was never the person I was before that moment again. The food at this place is also pretty good, and if you’re into early mornings you can go early and do some yoga. Listen to Desmond & the Tutus, Tidal Waves and Bye Beneco by snapping up a ticket here


[Several of these photos were stolen from a friend]