2

2
Us two cunts like adventure. And one likes to record it.

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Flying Home to Mother(City)


Pretty City - image from National Geographic


So you ignoramuses may not know this, but for many years Cape Town was our motherfucking backyard. When the cunts and youth were the dearest of friends we used to traipse the streets of those Southern Suburbs kicking ass and taking names. But that was then and then sure as fuck isn’t now.

Just this past weekend, this cunt took a little trip down memory lane for a visit to the Mother City and spend some time with old friends. Let’s just say, it currently feels as though the only ass that got kicked was mine. I’m saying I partied too hard.

Anyway let’s get down to my general musings of things to do and see and what not.

Firstly I got to use Cape Town’s MyCiTi buses and I while I’m strictly Team Jozi you can’t deny that the Cape has this public transport shit under control. While the Gautrain cost me R135 each way, the MyCiTi Bus from the Airport to the CBD was only about R55. And I bet you that had I felt parched, I could have had a drink of my fucking water without the long arm of the public transport law bashing me on the head. The buses go all over the place – I dig that shit. You can find out more about routes and shit here.

Friday night meant a visit to EVOL. Back in the mid-naughties, my booted, black eyelinered-self slouched around that place like one of Pete Doherty’s desperate groupies and I was intrigued to revisit the club that birthed the South African hipster crowd. I’m sad to say there were girls there that seemed to be on a bachelorette party. This hurt my judgemental heart, but otherwise we drank and danced well into the early hours of Saturday.

The next day we smashed some delicious Eggs Benedict with feta and jalapeno sauce at Beleza. Just the thing to cure the hangover while we sat outside in the sunshine. My darlingest friend, Kerry took me to see her latest solo exhibition at blank projects. Shit this bitch is good!

Saturday night was the big hooray. We kicked it off at Takumi with the biggest fucking bottle of sake and the most amazing sushi I’ve ever put in my mouth. And I’ve put some things in my mouth in my time! There are no words for the extreme levels of tastiness experienced there. Then it was cocktails at the Mount Nelson, cause that’s just how we roll. We rounded off the night with a solid Jam at After Hours at The Assembly. Ignore the kids and enjoy some solid 90s tunes. Actually don’t ignore the kid that slips in his own vomit. I laughed my tits off at that.

For me a weekend in Cape Town is incomplete without some Fat Cactus chilli poppers. As dirty UCT students, we spent many (and I mean MANY) a happy hour at the original Fat Cactus in Mowbray drinking their jugs of frozen margs and getting rowdy. The service isn’t great, the food nothing fancy, but that taste of nostalgia is completely priceless.


Go to Cape Town, try these things – don’t be lazy shits.